Did I start to ART late?

Hi Dr. Henry:

I have a life expantancy question. I'm 42 and started on Atripla in July/August 2007. My CD4 count was 227 and my CD4% was 15. On my Sept. '08 lab results I'm 482 cd4 count with a 32% CD4%. I know that I was infected w/HIV in 2003, but I suppect that I may have been actually infected as early as 1997. I had not started any HIV treatment until mid 2007 as stated above and I'm in relative good health except for the HIV of course. What could I expect to be my life expectancy to possibly be if there is no cure for HIV in my life time?

If you achieve full HIV suppression (below the detection level) and further CD4 rebound (ie CD4 > 500) then your life expectancy can approach that of the general population (for a 42 year old make that would be 75-80 depending on other risk for cancer, heart disease et cetera). KH

Surgery for swollen glands?
re: too much "gaz"