URTICARIA

Hi Doctor,

I have been on HIV treatment now for 2 years now. When i started i used to take TRimune but i had severe lipoatrophy so my doctor changed me to ATRIPLA a year ago. The first month after the new treament all was fine but now i usually get a rash before or after my periods, it usually starts very small like an insect bite and then spreads and becomes round and bigger and very itchy. Mostly its on my hands, legs, and bums. My doctor at first thought its an allergy to the medication, then later said it was fungal infection and then he suggested that I see a dermatologist to be certain what this could be. I saw a dermatogist during my last outbreak and she said I have URTICARIA after doing some tests and a biopsy of the rash. She said it could be as a result of the HIV or medication. She assured me it eventually goes away on its own and prescribed some medication ( xyzal Levocetirizine 2hcl and Aterax) to take every time I have an outbreak. And also watch what I eat because sometimes the outbreaks are very severe so certain types of food may cause this, like nuts, fish, wheat, eggs etcâ. My CD4 is about 350 and viral load undetectable. Iam very confused now and kinda depressed. Could you please shed some more light on this URTICaria and advise how best to handle this as it is affecting my life. Iam very conscious of my body because of the dark marks that remain. Many thanks and regards Charmu.

I haven't seen much on cyclical urticaria (related to menses) clearly attributable to one of the drugs in Atripla or HIV. It is possible that fluctuations of estrogen/progesterone during the menstrual cycle could be further magnified by use of efavirenz (one of Atripla components). If any reader is aware of a reference on that subject please post! KH

low dose naltrexone
Muscle atrophy