No side effects yet with Atripla...

Hi guys,

First off, AMAZING SITE! I can't thank you enough for creating such a great source for HIV+ people to go to.

I have a question... I recently started Atripla, and aside from feeling somewhat light headed and dizzy in the morning, I haven't had any other side effects. So here are my questions:

1. Normally if someone doesn't have bad side effects in the beginning, is it safe to say that there is a high likelyhood that they may not have bad side effects in general?

2. For people taking Atripla in general, are there alot of cases where people don't have bad side effects? I heard that sustiva was "preferred" option due to low toxicity, so I figured there must be some type of data to back this?

3. For people who start meds, whats the average amount of time a person can take the same meds for before becoming resistant to them?

Thank you again for your help!!

Mike

If you are not experiencing highly annoying side effects from Atripla in the first weeks you are off to a good start and have a low likelihood of later development of serious side effects that would lead to discontinuation/switch. After 4 weeks generally 90%+ of patients are tolerating Atripla fairly well. For patients with no resistance who achieve undetectable status on a potent ART regimen such as Atripla and who maintain a high level of adherence the failure rate (associated with resistance) per year is low (< 5% in most studies/reports). KH

Neuropathy Advice
not taking meds