Neuropathy Advice

Hello Dr. Henry,

I have been on Trizivir and Sustiva for 5 or 6 years now with my VL for the first several years undetectable and for the last few blipping but not yet going to 1000. Usually in the 200-400 range. Tcells are around 550. I never miss a dose of my meds. For the last couple of weeks, my feet have been tingling (mostly left foot) - and sometimes its in my arms. I am seeing my Dr. in 2 weeks, but wanted to get your opinion - could the meds I'm on be contributing to this issue? If so, are there more nerve friendly meds that I could investigate and ask my dr. about? Thank you! Alex

The risk for neuropathy with your current regimen is relatively low so it would not be a clear matter to recommend an alternative regimen with a lower risk for neuropathy. HIV or drug related neuropathy generally involves the toes then feet in a symmetric manner before involving the fingers so what you describe would be a little unusual to be simply related to one of your HIV drugs. It is recommended that an alternative regimen be considered that would be expected to be fully suppressive with your treatment and resistance history. KH

Atripla Side Effects Or My Imagination?
No side effects yet with Atripla...