CMV related issues
Sep 29, 2008
I have current active cmv retinitis and would like to know whats the usual time frame before i go blind without treatment.Can an active CMV be deactivated or slows down in someway by the HIV drug regimes im using? (3Tc,AZT)
Response from Dr. Henry
The rate of progression of CMV retinitis is highly variable and depends on location of retinitis (more of an immediate concern if near macula in both eyes). Effective treatment of HIV can slow /stabilize/reverse CMV retinitis but data on the specific point is limited. There is also concern about eye damage due to CMV related immune reconstitution syndrome (IRIS) when HIV treatment is started but no CMV treatment. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Bloody Urine After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Burning Red Spots After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Testicles After Sex With Sex Worker Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Glands After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Hole In Condom Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.