hiv

Dear Dr. Henry,

I was diagnosed HIV+ in Sept 07. In a year my VL has gone from 70K to 2.8M and CD4 from 700 (c.28%) to 440(12.5%).

This is despite giving up smoking and quitting recreational drugs.

I have just begun drug therapy with a combination of Ziagen (Abacavir), Truvada & Kaletra.

Is the combination I've been put on good, and is Atripla an option for me in the future?

Thanks & best wishes, Martin, England.

You are starting an effective regimen with a high barrier to resistance though the rationale for adding abacavir to the regimen is unclear from the data you provided. If you have no prior resistance and suppress well on your current regimen than switching to Atripla (Truvada + efavirenz) is a potential regimen simplication step. KH

Determining my stage
CMV related issues