Age 60 & positive

I was negative in April 08 and tested positive July 08. My first test was CD4 at 475 and VL at 1300. Was told no med for now and that my numbers are as good as someone not infected. I am in good health. At age 60 will I get aids sooner than normal?

As a general rule progression to AIDS may be faster in older persons but there is a very wide variability. HIV can contribute to risk for other conditions (such as heart disease and cancer) which increases with lower CD4 counts. Though the current CD4 threshold for starting HAART at the population level in the US is < 350 for those > 350 the decision is individualized depending on a range of issues. With easier and more effective meds and more back up meds there is a movement to earlier use of antiretroviral medications. Your HIV specialist is the best person to discuss what would be best in your situation. KH

Falling RBC
AIDS Expectancy