Falling RBC

My wife is on ATT since 9/2/08 and on Art ( Duovir and Effavir) since 4/5/08. Her Hb is 11.1 in Sept.Her RBC is 2.9 in Sept as against 3.61 in June and 4.26 in April. Her WBC is 3.61 in SEpt. as against 2.97 in June. What may be reason of falling RBC when Hb is good. I am quite worried . What should I do ? Please reply immediately

The AZT in Duovir can lead to anemia or a low white count in some patients (numerous other conditions can also cause that including GI bleeding, vitamin deficiencies such as iron or vitamin B12/folate and many others). If AZT is contributing to anemia then a switch to an alternative drug (such as D4T or tenofovir) is often helpful if available in your area (combinations of generic D4T and 3TC are sometimes available in areas with Duovir). KH

PML
Age 60 & positive