PML

My boyfriend was just diagnosed with progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. At this time he is in the hospital and does not have much movement to the right side of his body. I was just wondering if there was something we can give him or something he can take to help him. He has HIV. They have tested him for JC but that has come out negative.

PML (progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy) is an often devestating complication of AIDS. There is no proven effective and safe treatment for PML in the setting of AIDS other than use of effective anti-HIV medications (antiretrovirals) that can result in stabilization/reversal of immune damage and stabilization of the PML. The course of PML is variable with some cases of reasonable recovery but often the direct brain damage resembles a severe stroke. With a stroke due to high blood pressure controlling the blood pressure after the stroke may not result in good neurologic recovery depending on the extent and location of the brain injured. I hope your boyfriend has a decent recovery. KH

Hematospermia
Falling RBC