Peripheral Neuropathy?

Hello Doc,

Thanks for your time. My question is about the possible onset of Peripheral Neuropathy. Im HIV+ and have been taking 600mg of Epzicom and Sustiva once a day since May 2007. Im undetectable and my cd4 is 585. Over the last week I have noticed tingling and soreness in my feet and hands but the symptoms occur mostly in my right foot. Could this be the onset of Neuropathy? Dose Neuropathy occur in HIV patents with high cd4 and VL undet. Or could my drug regimen come into play? Thanks

Drug or HIV related peripheral neuropathy generally involves (usually in a somewhat symmetric manner) the toes/feet before involving the fingers/hands. Would be unusual to present as isolated right foot pain or involve the hands early on. Your HIV regimen also has a low rate of peripheral neuropathy. The risk for peripheral neuropathy increases with lower CD4 counts so it would also unusual to develop it with a CD4 count of 585. I would discuss your symptoms with your HIV doc and look for non-HIV related factors that could be contributing (I often refer to neurologist for assistance if no clear explanation). KH

how do you get patient financial assist for artefill
infections