High Blood Pressure

I have been HIV positive since 1983, started treatment in 1996 with a CD4 count of 20. I am currently taking Kivexa, Tenofovir and Nevirapine. I have diabetes which is controlled by diet. My blood pressure has always good - about 130/65. However, recently I have been experiencing bad headaches and discovered that my BP has gone up to 160/100, with some palpitations. The doctor doesn't know what the problem is and has suggested that it might be Tenofovir causing kidney toxicity. In your experience have you come across similar cases. What is the likelihood of this? What else could be causing this?

Many thanks for any information that you coulg give.

There hasn't been much of a link established between tenofovir and high blood pressure independent of any renal problems (can be assessed by measuring creatinine clearance, electrolyte levels, protein in urine, cystatin C or other measures). High blood pressure is common in the general population and becomes more common with aging so can be tough to nail down a direct link between a particular drug and increased blood pressure for a given patients (often on numerous meds that can effect renal function including drugs like ibuprofen). KH

swicthing just for side effects?
can i take atripla with licorice