Im scared about taking Reyataz.

Hi there, Thank you for answering my question.

Ive been hiv+ for about 16 yrs now...i am now 34 yrs of age..and other than getting MAC in 1999, Ive been pretty healthy.

I am currently on Sustiva and Kivexa. My viral load is undetectable and my cd4 is 1100. Very good numbers. Recently i have been complaining more about the adverse affects from sustiva (anxiety, depression, insomnia, irritablity, cloudy)...

So my doctor and I decided to try Reyataz and kivexa. With no boost. I am very confident that my numbers will remain the same and i will not need the norvir boost.

What i am concerned about is Reyataz being a Protease Inhibitor. Which has a possibily of causing lipodystropy. I am an actor and dancer and my look is very important to me and how i feel. My doctor has tried to reassure me that if i havent had any of these lipodystrophy symptoms yet..going on 16 yrs of being hiv and since 1999 on HAART...that i should be fine.

What are your thoughts? Im very scared.

Thank you

Unboosted atazanavir has had minimal impact on lipid levels and has not been linked to unusual rates of lipodystrophy. Our clinic has a large number of patients on either boosted or unboosted atazanavir for up to 3-5 years now and we are observing low rates of lipodystrophy overall (still happens but those regimens appear to compare favorably to other options including regimens with efavirenz). KH

Hiv and Diabetes meds
Neuropathy