Warnings about Reyataz and Contraceptives - what about HRT?

Hi Doc, upon reading the recent warnings about Reyataz and contraceptives I wondered if the same applies for Reyataz and Hormone Replacement Therapy?

My current regime is Reyataz (300mg), Viramune (200mg - yes it is enough), Viread (1 tablet) and 100mg Norvir. I know, thats a strange combination and not at all recommended, but its worked for the last five or so years and my doc never changes a winning horse - lol!

Now, I'm going through menopause and am on oestrogen and gestagen. My doc usually checks the trough and max levels of both reyataz and viramune once a year. Is there any reason for concern? If this is indeed the case, are there any other precautions that we should be taking?

thanx in advance and cheers frilly

The concern with estrogens class hormones and protease inhibitors is a potential for altered (decreased) levels of the hormones with less effiacacy. They often be used together in some situations but additional monitoring and sometimes dose adjustments is recommended. For contraception a back approach (such as condoms) is often recommended as well. KH

Chin Up
Hiv and Diabetes meds