Chin Up

Dear Dr. Henry,

I went to a plastic surgeon today because I thought I had developed a lipoma on the front of my throat. I have one on the back of my neck that will be removed soon with laser assisted lipo. I got a bit of a shock today in that he said my parodit glands are swollen which I've observed for about a year now but he also said my saliva glands below my jaw line are swollen and my thyroid is very swollen. He has ordered a CT Scan of the throat and lower face. It turns out that this problem which I assumed was lipoma on the throat is not. Have you ever seen this in patients? I've been on HIV meds since May 97. VL has been undetectable since Jan 98 and my CD-4 is 1200 although it started at 153. Also, I have sleep apnea and wear a CPAP at night (that's a real husband getter!!) Finally, at 45 I had two MIs and emergency bypass surgery so am on heart meds and niacin as well. My HIV meds are Combivir, Viread, Intellence. Recently changed from Trizivir because of the DAD study data. Any ideas? I look like a bull frog when I swallow. I swear..... more problems than a math book!!!

Thanks ATL

It is a good idea to get a CT scan of the face/neck to define the anatomic area involved. Polycystic disease of the parotid glands is seen in a small % of HIV+ patients and has not been linked to a particular drug regimen. I have had a dozen or so patients undergo radiation therapy to shrink parotid glands when that diagnosis is made with generally good cosmetic response. KH

First time Meds
Warnings about Reyataz and Contraceptives - what about HRT?