Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Noni Juice
Sep 6, 2008

I read in one of your posts that you don't know anything about Noni juice. In fact, I've noticed from reading this site that none of the doctors know much about it. It's not approved by the FDA, so I don't expect the medical community to promote it, but let me tell you about what this amazing product does for the immune system--at least I contribute my well-being to it anyway. In June of 2005 I was diagnosed with HIV. My viral load was 28,000 with a CD-4 count of 330. By September my load was 33,000, and about the same in November. A friend of mine gave me a bottle of Noni juice and I tried it--I drank about 6 oz a day and started buying it on a regular basis. By January 2006 my viral load had DECREASED to 13,000; by February it was 7,800; by May it was at all-time low of 1,440; by August it had increased to 4,000. Finally, by October of 2007, my last lab before starting meds showed my viral load was up to 19,000 with a CD-4 count of 266. So I went two years before taking meds. Now maybe the Noni juice was not the cause of the low viral loads, but it seems odd that such a decrease was the result of my immune system working alone. I know everyone's immune is different, but I think those diagnosed with HIV owe it to themselves to look into Tahitian Noni juice, provided they are diagnosed early enough.

Response from Dr. Henry

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have had numerous patients on no ART treatment who experienced similar viral load fluctuations as you describe who were not taking Noni juice. Because of the wide variability in outcomes a controlled clinical trial is usually necessary to determine if a modest antiviral effect is present for a given intervention. As you suggest there unfortunately little incentive for a drug company to study compounds like Noni juice since they wouldn't be able to make a good profit--frustrating to say the least. KH

Previous
Can HIV Cause Pee Leakage
Next
Eliminating Videx from combination therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.