Vitamin B. The Liver and Atripla

Hello Dr. Renslow,

It is indeed an honor to be able to ask you questions here.

I am a big believer in taking care of the body and I know that those of us with HIV sometimes could use more supplements than others as our bodies are constantly fighting. I know that the vitamin B family helps to detoxify the liver and I take the family of b vitamins along with my multivitamin and coq10.

My question is am I working against myself? Does taking the B Vitamins push out the medicine in Atripla along with the other toxins in the liver or does taking vitamins that help the liver simply help the liver to deal with the medication and potentially remain undamaged. My focus here is to stop any liver problems from the toxins of the medication and potentially lose any Atripla side effects but it just struck me that perhaps I am working against myself by doing it this way.

Thanks

Atripla has generally had little negative effect on the liver with low rates of liver toxicity over many years of use. There is no solid clinical evidence that vitamin B supplements and/or co enzyme Q protect the liver from Atripla side effects. I am unaware of any negative drug interactions when taking those supplements with Atripla (= OK to take for most patients though little evidence of actual benefit). KH

3rd week Sustiva
Hiv and sex