5 Days On Atripla

Hey Dr Keith.. Thanks for all that you do.

I started treatment very late as in cd4 of 23 which is extremely low. My VL was 23000 (I still never fully understand how such a low cd 4 count would have such a low vl as well) I did not experience most of the side effects thus far but knock on wood I am only 6 days into treatment with Atripla. The first night I had crazy dreams but since then I just have a hard time falling asleep and feel drugged up during the next day. Over the past day I have felt EXTRA week however and I have heard much about feeling weak as the immune system is restored yet I cant find anything on this. Is this accurate that as your immune system is being put back together that you might feel very weak as this is going on? Lastly when people say that 2-4 weeks the side effects become less bothersome do they mean to say that most no longer feel drugged up and groggy or do they mean that most just grow to become used to feeling this way?

Thanks again for everything.

Weakness during the first weeks on Atripla can often be due to the central nervous system side effects usually attributable to the efavirenz in Atripla. Those sort of adverse effects generally diminish over first 2-4 weeks so that by 4 weeks only about 10% of patients taking Atripla report persistent annoying side effects. In < 5% of the cases are those side effects severe enough or persistent enough that patients stop taking the medication or switch to a different med (preferred). KH

Irritation
Right Upper Quandrant Extrmeme pain with Atripla