Combivir to Truvada

I have been on Combivir & Sustiva for a good few years now and all is well stats wise, however I often have problems with my gut (cramps, bloating, feeling sick, and sometimes like its a gastric or wind problem)

I have had a camera up the tail, had an ultrasound, been tested for ulcers and various other tests and the doc believes it could be IBS related...

My question is: Could my meds be a main cause of this as symptoms started not long after starting meds, its the only treatment I have been on as stats responded well, however the gut issues are a real problem causing depression as when it flares up its for no reason and troublesom.

I have heard truvada is much better tollerated, but fear a change will cause me more issues - plus my docs will not be prepared to admit it could be related to my meds and feel it could just be one of those things - I am getting an endoscopy soon also, so if this is fine should i demand a change in meds and how much can you bet % wise this would sort the issue as I dont know how common this is with the meds i am on.

The AZT in Combivir does cause a range of often vague but annoying stomach/gut side effects in a minority of patients so an empiric switch to Truvada in situations like yours (with no other clear cause found) is often a reasonable consideration. KH

STOCKIRN AND HI BLOD PRESSURE
re: Kidney disease