neuropathy

I developed neuropathy in my hands 6yrs ago (within a month of starting meds). Since then it has spread to my feet and legs. I have taken all the recommended treatments and been virtually electrocuted by 2 neurologists doing nerve conduction tests. The last one I saw wanted to start me on Avenza and I would not do it. The foot and leg pain is getting progressively worse and walking is difficult at times. Is there a possibility that I may get to the point where I cannot walk at all? Also, as the day progresses my right foot begins to swell. None of my so-called specialists seem to know why. Any ideas there? Thank you, David Faulk

HIV related or HIV drug related neuropathy generally starts in the toes/feet so your experience would be unusual if due mostly to HIV or one of your drugs (you don't mention which HIV drugs you are taking). A review of whether you could switch off any possibly offending HIV or other drug is important if no other explanation is forthcoming. Many conditions can contribute to neuropathy such as diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, hormone problems (such as thyroid), amyloidosis, renal disease, cryoglobulinema, drug toxicity, heavy metal or other chemical exposures, genetic conditions and many more). KH

The side effects of pregnancy while on medication?
IRIS on HAART Initiation