Tinnitus

I started Sustiva and Truvada almost six months ago and have had a great virological response. The only sustained side effect has been tinnitus - the start of it coincided with the initiation of HAART and it was very pronounced during the first couple of weeks. Since then the tinnitus has diminished somewhat and manifests more intermittently during the day, if still in a noticeable way. I agreed with my consultant that we would give it some time to see if it might go away eventually. She has also offered to refer me to an ENT specialist (although I am not sure I understand how that would help if the tinnitus is provoked by HAART). I will be getting my next set of labs and consultation in about a month's time but am really unsure if I ought to give it any longer to see if this side effect will go away. What do you think?

There are many possible causes of tinnitus with a drug cause often a diagnosis of exclusion (no other explanation found hence the ENT evaluation/consultation). I have had several patients seemingly evelop tinnitus from the Emtriva (FTC) or efavirenz but the rate runs very low (? < 1%). A switch to an alternative regimen is often considered if one of the HIV drugs is linked to the persistently annoying condition. KH

sustiva/truvada side effects
Resitance