Reducing effects of Truvada

I currently am on Truvada and Sustiva. I take Sustiva three times a day (200mg) each capsule and one Truvada pill. Can I split the Truvada in half and take one half twice a day without losing its effectiveness? It seems to reduce the dizziness and tiredness effects when I do it that way. Thank You.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I suspect that most of your dizziness and tiredness may be from the Sustiva, especially if you are taking it throughout the day. Effects of Sustiva will be increased if taken with food. It might be hard to separate the Sustiva (2 hours or more before and after a meal) to be able to take it 3 times a day and still avoid food. The truvada is designed to be taken once a day. The pill is a split tablet with tenofovir in one half and emtricitabine in the other, so splitting it may not give you a balanced dose. I would discuss these issues with your provider, perhaps an alternative treatment that is less likely to cause these symptoms would be easier to take.

Joe

Hesitant & Scared to Start My Meds
Blood Cell transfusions