Long Term TRT

Hi.

I have been on Testim or Androgel since I was diagnosed with HIV six years ago. My test levels were low (around 200) so I started Test Replacement.

I am now feeling nervous about the reality of my situation. Am I at risk for prostrate, liver and cancer later in life?

I feel shackled to this treatment for life. I attempted to get off of it but found I was not able to feel "normal."

Your thoughts?

Jim

There is little data about very long term use of testosterone in men. Hormone replacement in women has been extensively studied in large numbers of women for years yet much controversy remains with the field being very complicated. In women improvement in quality of life measures has been tempered by concerns about increased risk for cancer or other serious medical problems. Use of physiologic testosterone replacement is unlikely to improve and may well worsen the underlying hormone deficiency so that when the supplements are stopped the situation returns to baseline or worse. Meanwhile we don't really know much about long term impact on heart disease and cancer risk. The situation is frustrating and points out the need for studies but I suspect that the current negative research funding milieau will hold back launch of needed long term studies involving large numbers of men. KH

just started atripla
Spinal Tap -prednisone, Benadryle and HIV meds