first time treatment

Keith l was tested recently and came back hiv +, l know l got the virus in jan 07, but got tested in may, first test 21% and cd4 432 and got tested two weeks later viral load 13,900 and cd4 384 and %25, one month later cd4 471 and viral load 19,500 and %22, my doctor in sydney oz wants me to take kivexa and nevirapine, when its time, keith could you pleasr tell me your opinion, l am a one every two weeks binge drinker, and want the less toxic drug for my liver and also, l dont want any chance of hair loss or sunken cheeks side effects NO WAY, so please give me your opinion on what first drug to take, that is once a day...

thank you marco

Kivexa (abacavir + 3TC) + nevirapine is a regimen with low risk for fat problems (including fat loss from face). There is an increased risk for liver toxicity if CD4 count >400 in men (> 250 in women) so that is an issue meriting discussion with your HIV doc. The majority of patients would do OK with that regimen. Stocrine or Sustiva is another NNRTI option rather than the nevirapine. Checking a baseline resistance test before starting treatment is recommended. KH

oily fatty foods = BAD pain
just started atripla