Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Sustiva & Combid Causing Symptoms Similiar to ARS?

Dr. Henry, Please help. I'm a college student in a foreign place.

I started PEP (2x daily Combid & 1 daily Stocrin) 46 hrs after a high risk encounter with a Thai Sex Worker (MSW).

At day 2 of PEP, I went back to the hospital because of the appearance of the macupapular rash typical with Stocrin/Sustiva. At the time I had tenderness in my chest armpit area. 1)Is it typical for the meds I am taking? 2)Is this typical for the appearance of the virus?

It has now been 15 days since exposure and yesterday, I experienced what i thought was a fever (hot in the face and body) and it quickly diminished after about 30 minutes but my back remained hot for a good hour. During this time I noticed a singular macupapular eruption (red and blotchier than before) on my chest. It went away this morning. I had been drinking late at night before taking the stocrin (for maybe 4 days prior)... 4) is this likely to cause a re-occurence of such side effects? 5)Is it likely that the fever/hot flash is something from the medication??

6)Also, is there any research on PEP having an affect on ARS symptoms?

7)If I do test positive later, what implications will my PEP treatment have on the progression of the virus? Is it good that I am taking it early ?

I am very scared and alone in Thailand. Thank you for taking ttime to help me.

Most of the symptoms you describe can be caused by use of the HIV drugs you are taking for PEP and are unlikely to be due to HIV seroconversions with the scenario you describe. Those symptoms usually taper off after 4 weeks for HIV+ patients taking the drug for longer that 1 month. KH

their is a new drug in clinical trial kp1461 what is the prospect of that drug
Gastro link and HIV drugs