PEP and WEIGHT LOSS

I have an important health question. I am a 27 year old female: after having unprotected vaginal intercourse (though my partner didn't ejaculate into me), I had a PEP (since I did not know my partner or whether he was seronegatif/positif). This was mid April. After two weeks, I had the routine check-up to make sure my body was handling the PEP well. Since I had left on vacation, and had forgotten my meds there, the doctor gave me another round of meds to substitute the forgotten ones... the problem is that 2 days later, I had intercourse with this partner again and this time the condom broke.... Once the 4-week PEP treatment was over, since I had medication left, and since I had the broken-condom incidence, I decided myself to extend the treatment for 2 weeks..... but given sudden weight loss, and feeling quite unwell, I decided not to finish (am at day 26 post-second time, so day 40 all in all). A nurse friend told me this was crazy to extend my PEP without medical support. I am really scared to have made a mistake .... So my questions are: - starting my second "risk" (broken condom): I took the PEP for therefore 26 days (but had been taking it for 2 weeks beforehand). Is 26 days still effective (all in all I took 40 days of PEP)? - Could the PEP be causing my weight loss (I take Kaletra nd Truveda), knowing that Kaletra gives me diahrea? - Am I wise to stop this?

Thank you for your answer, I am panicking...

Short term course of HIV drugs for PEP (2-6 weeks) are very rarely associated with persistent weight loss though short term weight loss due to GI side effects can be seen. PEP is not widely used after a sexual exposure unless there is a clearly increased risk for possible HIV exposure. Finding out the HIV status of a partner or getting a partner tested for HIV by a rapid test would be useful to sort out the best situations to use PEP. PEP is most effective if used with 0-2 days after exposure. The proper duration of PEP has not been well worked out and if fairly empiric at this point in time. KH

skin rash with drugs
lymph nodes