Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4 counts
May 29, 2008

I have been HIV positive now for 4 yrs. Originally I had 158,000 copies and was placed in the hospital for 7 days with pneumonia. I recovered very well and after trial and error I found an awesome treatment. I have been atripla for nearly a year now. I have absolutely no side effects that bother me anyway and i am currently undetectable with <48 copies. Even at my sickest my cd4 never went below 200 but now even thought i have been undetectable for nearly 8 months, my cd4 hasn't really changed much and stays around 450 or so (once it was like 568). What am I doing wrong?? if the copies are going down so low, shouldn't my cd4 be climbing out of the roof ?? I guess I don't understand what the cd4 is or how high it should get ? I am assuming as long as it doesn't go down, I am gonna be ok. I am not worried about dying as I do have a great doctor who has been with me the entire journey, but he uses alot of technical terms to describe cd4 that I just don't understand. I am not stupid by any means, that is just not an area I understand very well. I appreciate any feedback you can give me and thank you very very much for having this site. It was extremely important to me to know that I am not the only one who is dealing with this. These days I am in great condition, mentally and physically, but it took alot of reading and talking with people.

Response from Dr. Henry

Perhaps 20%+ of patients on effective HIV therapy (defined as fully suppressed virus) fail to steadily recover CD4 cells. There are many reasons for this including a small thymus gland, genetic capacity to make extra CD4 cells, ongoing T-cell activation in places like the gut that still can cause T-cell problems even when fully suppressed, severe destruction of the lymph node architecture throughout the body, and other causes. This is a relatively common (often unexplainable in the clinic) phenemenon that is perhaps more common when older or starting with a lower CD4 count. KH

Previous
Food intolerance?weight loss/nausea/vomiting
Next
rosacea

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.