New Regimen

I have been on this regimen for over 5 years: Epivir, Viread, Kaletra, and Reyataz.

I have been having pain on my right side and I was informed that Rayataz may be the cause. What is a proposed new regimen?

Response from Dr. McGowan

It is great that you have had success on this regimen for 5 years. There have been reports of kidney stones with the use of Reyataz, so this may be what your doctor thinks is the cause of the pain in your side. There are tests, such as a urinalysis and sonogram that can verify this. In order to plan a new regimen it would necessary to know several things: 1) Was this the first regimen you ever used to treat the virus? This is important to know because if you had used other treatments before your virus may harbor resistance to some of the available meds we might consider. Your regimen, which includes a "double boosted" protease combination, is not usual for a first line treatment, so I assume it was chosen based on some previous drug resistance; 2) Did your virus have resistance to any meds when you became infected? In other words were you infected with a drug resistant strain? That would also effect our options. 3) Have you had any side effects or intolerances to previous treatments? These would have to be considered. 4) Do you have any other medical conditions such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C, kidney problems, depression or high cholesterol that might effect our choice of medications. It is a little complicated, but there is no "cookbook" for choosing the best combo. There are guidelines to follow, but every regimen should be individualized.

Best,

Joe

Thoughts on drug holidays
medical exam