Feeling nauseous from HIV meds after a year?

I have been taking Reyataz, Norvir(100mg), & Epzicom since Nov '06 and it has been well tolerated. But about 5 months ago I noticed I was often nauseous in the evening (I take my meds at dinner.) I began losing excessive weight and had a GI procedure and many lab tests to try and figure out what was going on, and everything checked out ok. (Had upper GI, CT of abdomen to look at gallbladder, Celiac/Gluten test, Stool cultures, fat absorption, etc.) During all of this, my doctor stated she didn't feel it was my HIV meds causing me issues since I had been on them for more than a year with no problems. She suggested I switch the times I took my meds. I tried them in the morning, and then I was ill feeling at work in the morning. So I decided instead of taking all 3 pills at once, I would take Norvir & Reyataz in the morning, and Epzicom at night...no more nausea! So what about starting a side effect a year after treatment started? Also, is taking me HIV meds separately instead of together cause any concern?

Thanks, David

Interesting situation and outcome. I wouldn't have thought of making that suggestion but will keep your case in mind next time a patient presents with a similar problems. I often hear from patients that a new symptom develops after a prolonged stable period in a given regimen. In some cases no other cause for the symptoms is identified so an unusual or idiosyncratic effect of a drug in a given regimen becomes a suspect (verifying an often used phrase that every one is unique/different) leading to consideration of symptoms management, dosing frequency variation (as in your case), or planned switches to an alternative regimen. KH

Nasea and Atripla
Failing menstrual period