What next?

I was not diagnosed until I was "full-blown" My CD4 was 8, yes 8 and my viral load was over 1,000,000. I had PCP and KS. PCP is gone, KS is gone (after two surgeries). I have been on Atripla for 9 months. CD4 is now 158 and VL is undetectable. My doctors are extremely pleased with my progress. I feel extremely healthy. However, I am constantly worried about what is next. What risk do I have for recurrence of KS or other complications?

You are off to a good start. Since your KS has been responsive to initiation of effective therapy that is a good sign for you. Maintaining viral suppression provides clinical protection against a variety of AIDS related conditions. If your CD4 count continues to increase that also is a good sign. CD4 cells often will continue to increase for many years so hopefully it will go above 200 (out of AIDS range) and beyond. The higher your CD4 count goes the more your health will approximate that of the general (non-HIV infected) population. Paying attention to other health issues (cancer and heart disease risks for example) become increasingly important as your risk for AIDS complications diminishes. KH

Intelence
tetrasil