Intelence

I was diagnosed in 1993. I have taken most of the meds in the market and I am resitant to most of them. My t-cells are below 200 and I am asymptomatic. I am on the following meds: norvir, prezista,and trizivir. My doctor was waiting to change my meds for two new meds but we couldn't wait anymore and she added a new med to my regimen, intelence 100mg two tablets two times a day. I started taken this med together with my other meds on May 5th. I started to have skin rash on May 19th and my doctor said that it is due to intelence. I have this rash for 4 days already and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I do not have fever, respiratory problems or blisters, but I have red dots on my back, chest, belly, arms and my face is very red...my ears are red and thick. It seems like I have a bad sunburn. I saw my doctor and she said that she wants me to continue taking the medication because I do not have too many options and probably this rash will subside in a week or two. I am sill taking intelence together with my other meds, and trying to control the rash with benadryl, but I am worried in continuing taking a medicine that is causing me to have all this rash. I understand that if this meds works for me and this rash goes away in a week or two, I will be satisfied, but I do not want to put myself at risk of a bigger problem. What do you think? Thanks for your opinion.

Rash is common with etravirine and usually can be continued with symptomatic management. I would strongly urge you to discuss use of other drugs as well (raltegravir, darunavir, maraviroc) to optimize chances to achieve full and durable suppression depending on your treatment history/resistance status. KH

side affects
What next?