bone problems

Dear Dr. Henry; Three years ago I had my left hip replaced due to avascular necrosis and now I have severe degeneration of my cervical spine. I also have 2 buldging lumbar discs as well as degenerative changes. Although my hip replacement was a smashing success, I just do not feel as if I am up for anymore major surgeries to fix my bone problems. In your experience, is this something I can look forward to the rest of my life? I've known I was infected since 1986 and quite frankly, I just dont think I have it in me anymore to go through the pain of more bone problems. Lastly, I have read there has been some benefits in patients like myself who take Fosamax, do you have any advise on this treatment? Thank you for your time! Sincerely, Irvin

I recommend getting a DEXA scan to look at bone density at several locations (including hip and LS spine). If you have osteopenia and esp osteoporosis I recommend vitamin D and calcium supplementation and often a drug like Fosamax if you have more pronounced loss of bone density. Looking for secondary causes of bone loss like hormone issues (low testosterone, parathyroid abnormalities). vitamin D deficiency, corticosteroid use et cetera is often worthwhile if you have significant bone loss. KH

Upset stomach for over a year
I bruise very easy