spare tire?

I HAVE BEEN ON VIRACEPT,COMBIVIR,AND SUSTIVA FOR ALMOST A YEAR. I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT, WHICH IS GOOD, BUT IT ALL SEEMS TO BE IN MY GUT. I'M 5'7' AND WEIGH 150. I HAVE ALSO BEEN IN A WHEELCHAIR FOR A WHILE TOO. COULD THIS "WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION" BE A SIDE EFFECT OR JUST FROM BEING SEDENTARY?

RC

RC,

good questions that warrant a good discussion with your doc who has followed you over the last year (s). You don't mention whether you had gained weight after starting the current regimen. If you gained weight but were doing no exercise then the extra pounds often head for the middle of the body. That tendency can be worsened by some of the HIV meds but often there is no choice. Exercise, a good diet, good hormone levels (testosterone, DHEA) all can play a role. Getting a handle on your body fat with a test known as a BIA is often helpful in this situation as well. Body fat issues are very important these days and we are learning more about that topic all the time but I suggest the basics as outlined above for now (get a good book on HIV nutrition and one on HIV and general health-such as Jon Kaiser's book -Healing HIV). Hope that helps and start pumping some iron with your arms or whatever-every little bit helps.

KH

Itchy Rash-side effect of Medicine?
antibody tests and variant strains