Drugs and DHT production

Over the last year I've been experiencing noticeable hair loss. To investigate the causes, I had my blood tested for DHT levels (Dihydrotesterone) - a known culprit in male hair loss. My DHT levels were off the chart - 5500pmol/L vs. the high normal of 3400.

I'm wondering whether there could be any link between HIV drugs and DHT production? I'm currently taking Kivexa (3TC and Abacavir) and Kaletra and have a long history on 3TC which I understand has some implications in hair loss - though why hair loss would just start happening is perplexing.....

Many thanks!

I haven't seen any data linking any of your HIV drugs to increased levels of DHT. Most of the literature and clinical experience has been focused on possible LOWER levels of testosterone and other androgenic hormones in the setting of HIV infection with no clear linkage to any particular HIV drug. A causal relationship linking a drug to high levels of DHT and hair loss may be tough to pin down given how common hair loss is in the general population and the variability of hormone levels and even HIV drug levels from person to person. If any reader knows of a good relevant reference please post! KH

Amyl use
Testosterone and sex drive