Marinol

I was diagnosed in 99 as HIV+. I have smoked marijuana (god it kills me to say this), but i've smoked marijuana for some 24 years now...before i was diagnosed it was purely recreational, now it's more for the nausea control and appetite stimulation. I would like to quit smoking weed and cigs, as i know these aren't good for you, esp. with HIV. I'm honest with my doctor about my marijuana usage. I would like to start taking marinol for appetite stimulation and nausea, and of course for the calming effect, and it just generally makes me feel better. Do you have to have an actual diagnoses of aids wasting syndrome to be prescribed this medicine. I'm far from that point (i weigh 200lbs now), but if i don't smoke I WON"T Eat and i don't want to get the "skinnies", also can anyone give any input on whether or not your ins covers this drug and is it more expensive than weed off the street...God If I could only live in Cali....LOL..Again, thank you for this valuable service you provide for the HIV/AIDS community Ray

Marinol is sometimes prescribed for nausea/vomiting related to taking HIV medications. It generally not prescribed simply as a marijuana substitute and is not indicated for use in patients without wasting or nausea or vomiting. It is also very expensive (much more costly than marijuana itself). KH

Infertility and Meds
HIV