Colonoscopy

I've been HIV+ since 1999..Currently my cd4 is 766 and vl is 56,000. I had colonoscopy (FUN FUN), yesterday and here are the findings...can you explain a little more as how this relates to my HIV...Im on treatment with trizivir and viread currently. Findings: The trminal ileum containem multiple petachiae. This was biopsied with cold forceps for histology. Patchy moderate inflamation characterized by apthous ulcerations and shallow ulcerations found in the entire colon. Impression 1-petechia(e) in the ileum 2. Suspected CHohns disease awaiting pathology results...otherwise the procedure unremarkable and well tolerated.

Those finding would generally not be related much to your HIV situation in the setting of a CD4 count 766 other than noting that much of the gut immune system is seriously damaged and activated from HIV even when the peripheral blood CD4 count is OK. HIV+ patients can develop inflammatory bowel disease like the general population. The role of also treating HIV infection when the CD4 count is > 500 in that setting has not been well elucidated. I would rely on the advice of your personal HIV specialist and gastroenterologist. KH

Muscle pain (Atripla)
Erectile Disfunction