dear doc

I am on Combivir+kaletra for almost a year and half but the sides effects are more and more unbearable(my stomach is in pain so my back,my sholders, my everything.. I am thinking of taking a drug holiday for a year if i am lucky(i know is bad) to give my body a rest. My question is: in wich order do I have to give up the drug so i wont develop drug resistance? And if I am off for such long or less am I in risk to develop drug resistance? Would my drugs still work after that? Or the other posibility is to give up Combivir(wich i hate) and take only kaletra(2 times a day)for less toxic sides effects.Would be as good? Pls.advice me and thank you!!

I would discuss with your HIV provider what are your switch options. If you reside in a resource rich area then many alternatives to your current regimen might be available and could improve your gut symptoms. Possiblities could be using Truvada or Epzicom for Combivir and Sustiva or another boosted PI (such at atazanavir, darunavir, saquinavir, fosamprenavir) for the Kaletra. Stopping HIV meds puts a person at increased risk for a range of AIDS and non-AIDS related problems so that option needs to be carefully assessed. Most patients who stop Kaletra/Combivir would not develop resistance to any of those drugs after stopping due to the overlapping times the drugs persist in the blood. KH

breakthru comethru!!!
Truva and PN