Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Exercise vs wasting syndrome
Mar 14, 2008

I have a question about exercise & nutrition versus wasting syndrome. First my last labs/dr visit was 1/9 of this year. CD4 was 600, vl undetectable. I am a male, 5'8, slight build and all my adult life weighed 145 until 5 years ago when I was diagnosed. Perhaps it was depression I'm not sure, but I gained about 20 pounds and had been 165 pounds since. At the beginning this year I decided to do something about it and began exercising. Both aerobics & weight training, eating lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables and am now down to 150 and feel GREAT! Much more energy, less fatigue, sleeping much better, etc. A couple of friends suggested it was a mistake not to hold onto my former weight because of being positive and that prompted my question. Isn't it healthier to maintain a healthy weight, vs carrying around an extra 15/20 pounds or so of fat (which it was). I've mostly lost in the waist area. I will be discussing it with my doctor on my next visit in May, but thought it might be prudent to ask here. As I mentioned before most of my adult life I was a healthy 145 pounds for my build. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Henry

Eating healthy/exercising and carrying an appropriate (not excessive) weight makes sense for most patients even in the context of HIV infection. KH

Previous
ARV SIDE EFFECT
Next
Lactic Acedemia and Low Carbon Dioxide

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.