Kaposi sarcoma at < 500 CD4 count?

Dr. Henry, I am currently on HAART and my last CD4 count was 450 22%. I was reading about occular issues in HIV positive people (due to the recent onset of "floaters" and came across the following.. Is it true that KS can occur in CD4 counts as high as mine? For some reason I thought KS was prevalent in severe immune system suppression. Can you clarify?

"In general, CD4+ T-lymphocyte count has been used to predict the onset of certain ocular infections in patients who are HIV positive. CD4+ T-cell count less than 500 cells/mm3 is associated with Kaposi sarcoma, lymphoma, and tuberculosis"

Thank you so much. John

Floaters are very common in the general population as well as HIV+ persons. Not generally indicative of AIDS/HIV related pathology when the CD4 coutn >> 200. KS is sometimes seen with higher CD4 counts. Floaters due to KS or other HIV-related complications in a situation as you describe would be highly unusual. A good eye exam by an opthalmologist would be recommended to look for general eye pathology and to be reassured if your floaters are of the usual type (separation of the vitreous get from the retina) and not indicative of a retinal tear or other more serious condition. KH

nevirapine side effects
Are any of my current meds worsening my neuropathy?