With Creatinie of 1.8 Can I Half Dose Combivir?

I have been HIV positive for 14 years. It was discovered quite a while ago that my left kidney functions only very slowly. I am currently on Combivir and Sustiva, not resistant to any HIV med, and took Combivir with no problems for years.

I work nights and would take the Combivir and Sustiva at 6AM. But, by 6PM I was just waking up, and my body was saying, another dose...poison. Then sometimes I would get sleepy again.

I read that in renal insufficiency that AZT and 3TC should be given once a day. Now I am taking the Sustiva at 6 AM and the Combivir at 6PM and am not sleeping all day, and don't feel toxic. Am I taking a huge risk by dosing Combivir once daily? Should I try and keep this up or stop and completely switch to a regimen that is not metabolized through the kidneys. I felt like I was being poisoned, and possibly developing pancreatitis(elevatated amylase) from taking it twice a day. I fear resistance, but I also fear kidney failure. What should I do?

If I should change, what regimen would you suggest changing to?

The issue with renal impairment is the dose of lamivudine in the Combivir. You need to have your renal function checked and if you have a creatinine clearance < 50 mL/min then the Combivir should not be used and the lamivudine should be dosed according to the degree of renal impairment. The zidovudine (AZT) and Sustiva doses do not usually need to be adjusted in the setting of renal (kidney impairment). KH

Brain Lesions
CD4 at 300?