Kaletra dose (follow up info)

Originally I was on the old formula of Kaletra which was 800mg/BID (4, 200mg gel-caps) twice daily. Then when the new formula came available we switched to that, but Dr. didn't change my dose, so while I am on the newer formula I am currently still taking 1600mg daily/ 800mg, BID.

Also, I was on a research protocol at NIH where we were given HUGE doses of AZT very early on (from '88 through about '95) and because of that AZT has NO effect one way or the other on me. While I have been on several other drug combos over the years, this is the only one which has had any effect on Viral Load and/or CD4 counts.

BUT, there were a number of environmental issues that quite possibly were adversly effecting me in the past which I believe were the major reason for the lack of effect when trying earlier combo's.

I honestly can't remember everything I've tried over the years, the list is Quite extensive, and prior to '99 I had at least tried aprox. 95-99% of the meds available at that time. When my doc at the time looked at the Kaletra research data, we decided to try that, and it's the ONLY one at the time that made even a dent in anything. And since that time, I have entered into a relationship (approaching our 7th anniversary), and Viral has been undetectable since '99, and my CD4 count has risen from an average between 55-65, to my current count of 500+.

When they reformulated the Kaletra medication from the gel-caps to the tablets, should I have halved the dose? it sounds to me from what I've read, heard, and been told that the current formulation of Kaletra is just as effective at 400mg/BID as it is at MY current dose of 800mg/BID (total intake = 1600mg/daily.

If there are any other questions please feel free to contact me at my contact info provided, thanks DF

Unless you have had lopinavir levels measured documenting that you need the higher dose of Kaletra most patients will do fine if standard doses are used (400/100 BID). If you have history of resistance or documented low levels of lopinavir on standard doses you might consider discussing with your HIV specialist the pros and cons of switching to ritonavir/darunavir (Prezista) and/or adding raltegravir or etravirine. KH

PN and Lidoderm
Weight Loss