Efavirenz Side Effects

Dr. Henry,

Can one of the side effects of efavirenz be stomach and bowel problems if you eat a few hours before taking the pill?

When on HIV meds, is it common after a few years of being on them to experience cramps and stomach pains? I had a ultrasound which came back ok and my docs deny its related to my meds everytime I ask yet I see others have this problem and they are told it could be related to their treatment of efavirenz & combivir.

It seems to me that even if these problems only occured since being on meds the docs will say it could be stress or ibs rather than the meds. This I find bizarre, and although there is side effects you shouldnt be in agony with pains should you? Sometimes to the point of creasing over to get rid of them, it may only happen for 20 mins or so at a time but back pain, diarreah and feeling like rubbish cant be the way to live!

I have had a few patients who seemed to have stomach/gut problems from efavirenz (Sustiva) though more often it was due to one of the accompanying drugs (most often the AZT in Combivir or less often the tenofovir in Truvada or Atripla). KH

Side effects worse with Atriplaa
sores on my back and shoulders