Combivir/Efavirenz - to - Atripla

I am currently on Combivir/Efavirenz and have been for a while now and my stats all seem good.

However the UK has recently authorised Atripla by the PCT (Primary Care Trust) and I wondered as its 1 pill a day if you would recommend me changing and what the difference side effects wise is, the chance of this regime working etc

Reason I am considering this is because I have had problems with weight loss since starting my meds (4 stone total) and although am maintaining my weight now I always have a swollen stomach like a beer belly but dont drink, I have also had problems with cramps and been told this could be related to the combivir, but dont know if this is true and a known long term or common side effect to it.

Please advise me as I am in for my 3 monthly appointment soon and want to know more info so I can ask my doctor - I worry that if I change it wont work or that I will of wasted a combination therapy and my side effects/stomach & weight problems wont be resolved!

Experience from published studies and the clinic support the notion that often there are less GI complaints from use of Atripla compared to Sustiva + Combivir. Also, the tenofovir in Atripla is more fat friendly than the AZT in Combivir so problems with fat loss (lipoatrophy) are somewhat less with Atripla than seen with Combivir + Sustiva. The HIV effectiveness of Atripla is the same or better than observed with Combivir + Sustiva so it has become a staple for initial HIV treatment in the US. KH

Any Other Methods Of Treatment
Muscle and joint pain after just two years