Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lipomas
Jan 30, 2008

Dear Doctors,

Thanks for all of the great advice and helping us HIVers through some worrisome times. My questions is as follows..About a week ago I noticed a small lump on the inside portion of my elbow. I went to my doctors office and after feeling it he quickly diagnosed it as a lipoma and said that it was harmless. After I left his office I realized that I didnt ask some key questions. Im a 44-year-old male HIV+, undetectable, CD4 of 680 on Sustiva and Epzicom for 8 months.

Will this lipoma likely resolve on its own? Do they tend to get bigger? And is it related to my drug regimen, and if so am I likely to experience more of these? Thanks again for your answers.

Response from Dr. Henry

Lipomas can be a part of the lipodystrophy spectrum of disorders reproted int he setting of HIV infection/treatment though are quite common in the general population making a linkage to a particular drug or regimen tough. Most lipomas are benign and mostly a cosmetic issue. Your present HIV regimen has not been clearly linked to an increase in lipomas and is generally viewed as being fat friendly. The natural history of lipomas is quite variable. They often are persistent for years and can get bigger. Annoying lipomas are sometimes excised surgically. KH

Previous
Taking Sulfa/Trimeth 800/160MG and Atripla is this safe?
Next
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.