Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

new blood cleaner in hospitals?
Jan 25, 2008

Hi I just read an article on a company called Aethlon medical: that would like to clean blood in hospitals, for the purpose of MRSA, HIV, Hep etc... You would be hooked up to a dialysis machine and clean blood would be returned. Do you see this in the near future in Canada, have you heard of this?

Response from Dr. Conway

The Hemopurifier device of Aethlon Medical would, in theory, bind envoloped viruses in a dialysis-type cartridge that is appropriately coated to do so. The blood would be run through the cartridge, and infected blood would go in, and less infected (or, I suppose non-infected) blood would come out and be pumped back into the patient. This is intriguing in theory, but is almost completely untested and certainly unproven. NO clinical trials of any kind have been done, and this would do nothing at all to address cell or tissue-associated HIV. I am not terribly optimistic about this approach being useful for HIV/AIDS...but we will know more when clinical trials are completed in the next 8-10 years or so...Still a long way off.

Previous
Test at 12 weeks
Next
Atripla side effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.