Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is there ANY hope?
Jan 23, 2008

Hey! I love reading the questions and answers here... I was diagnosed in Oct. 2007, and currently not on meds as my counts are good enough for now. My question is... why is there ever very little mention of the hope and possibility of a cure for this illness in our lifetimes? Every response is along the lines of 'you have a chronic but manageable illness that you will have for the rest of your life.' Cmon people... with the advances that have been made in the past 20 years, is it completely unrealistic to think that a cure would be possible in the next 20 years? Or has modern medicine given up on curing ANYTHING, after realizing it is much more profitable to just keep people on meds forever? This is a serious question. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Henry

Some very good researchers and laboratories are still working on approaches to achieving a cure for HIV infection. As of 2008 there is no approach that has been developed that appears likely to result in a cure in the next several years. That situation in no way should hamper efforts to gain a better understanding of the science of HIV and the immune system in order to develop potentially curative treatment strategies. In the US there has been a flattening and perhaps a decrease in HIV research funding (along with medical research overall)which is very unfortunate for efforts to work on a cure for HIV infection. KH

Previous
ringing in my ears
Next
Elevated urine proteins after switching to Truvada

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.