Is there ANY hope?

Hey! I love reading the questions and answers here... I was diagnosed in Oct. 2007, and currently not on meds as my counts are good enough for now. My question is... why is there ever very little mention of the hope and possibility of a cure for this illness in our lifetimes? Every response is along the lines of 'you have a chronic but manageable illness that you will have for the rest of your life.' Cmon people... with the advances that have been made in the past 20 years, is it completely unrealistic to think that a cure would be possible in the next 20 years? Or has modern medicine given up on curing ANYTHING, after realizing it is much more profitable to just keep people on meds forever? This is a serious question. Thanks.

Some very good researchers and laboratories are still working on approaches to achieving a cure for HIV infection. As of 2008 there is no approach that has been developed that appears likely to result in a cure in the next several years. That situation in no way should hamper efforts to gain a better understanding of the science of HIV and the immune system in order to develop potentially curative treatment strategies. In the US there has been a flattening and perhaps a decrease in HIV research funding (along with medical research overall)which is very unfortunate for efforts to work on a cure for HIV infection. KH

ringing in my ears
Elevated urine proteins after switching to Truvada