Lipodistrophy

I have been HIV+ for 5 years now - good lab results but wondering - when i do go on meds are there any that I should avoid if i want to reduce the risk of getting lipodistrophy? I read that there were certain protese inhibators used in the 90's that were known to be greater risk?

Lipodystrophy is a complicated subject that involves both fat gain (lipohypertrophy) and fat loss (lipoatrophy). Non treatment factors such as genetics, aging, time with HIV, CD4 nadir and gender/racial factors contribute to the risk for fat changes. Fat loss has been most closely linked to use of the thymidine analogues (D4T and AZT). Fat gain has been harder to associate with any particular drug but it seemed to be more common with some of the older protease inhibitors that are not used as much now in the US (such as indinavir or nelfinavir). Fat problems are not being seen as often with many of the newer regimens. KH

Stopping Zetia
Neuropathy