Insertive sex and the related risks

Dear Brian!

I know that both insertive anal and vaginal sex without a condom are considered risky. But many experts claims that insertive anal is more risky than insertive vaginal. Is this true? Is it probably due for the presence of blood in anal sex? Even in vaginal sex there could be blood if the woman is in her period. I'm confused. In my opinion both activities carries the same risk. Do you agree?

Thanks in advance!

Response from Dr. Conway

In some ways, you are right. However, the risk of bleeding and trauma during anal sex is significantly higher. On odds, then, anal sex carries a higher risk. This being siad, if there is vaginal bleeding and/or vaignal lesions, the risk may approach that experienced with insertive anal sex.

A very Importan Question
Lap Band consideration