Fat Gain

Hello experts,

I started HAART a while ago, several months ago I stopped taking Sustiva and started on Nevirapine with Truvada, I was on Sustiva and Truvada however the Sustiva was sending me loopy (an english word for crazy) I have gained about 12Ibs which I didn't want to gain. The weight has gone to my stomach and chest, I'm male by the way and dont really want moobs (man boobs).

Could you tell me does Nevirapine causes weight gain?

Thanks in advance

Paul

The fat effects of nevirapine have generally been similar or less than what has been observed/reported with efavirenz (Sustiva). Put another way, the fat/lipid problems seen with nevirapine compare favorably to most other HIV medications though there could be individual varitions in susceptbility. There has been less research on nevirapine related fat problems since its use in western countries is modest and that is where most of the metabolic/fat studies have been done. In resource poor countries, nevirapine is more widely used though often with AZT or D4T that are linked to fat problems more than the tenofovir or abacavir that are increasingly being used in resource wealthy countries. Genetic factors (look at similarly aged relatives)as well time with HIV, age, CD4 low nadir have been shown to be associated with increased risk for fat problems. KH

what to do
yellow/orange stool