Kaletra Side Effects?

I am just about to add Kaletra to my cocktail. I have been on Viracept for close to 3 years now. My doctor did a resistance test and found I had a high resistance to Veracept hense the change in PIs. I will also be taking Comvivir (which I have also been on for 3 year) with the Kaletra. Other than diarrhea, I had no problems with the Viracept. After reading the information given with the new med, I see there are a number of side effects. How have most of you patients done with this new PI? I am concerned. My CD4s are at 750 and VL = 6800.

Bill in Seattle

The major side effects seen with Kaletra related to the GI tract (bloating or diarrhea) and elevations of lipids. In most cases they are mild but some patients experience more severe disturbances. I would have some concern about staying with the same nucleoside backbone since usually the virus would at least be resistant to 3TC in the setting you described. Your CD4 count is still quite high so one has to be careful to preserve future treatment options for later use. Often there is a disconnect seen between continued high CD4 counts and return of measureable virus. It is still unclear what is the best course of action for that situation (change early or wait until the CD4 starts to fall). Usually that is a long discussion with your HIV specialist to determine what fits best for you. KH

Side Effects of PI
where are my testicles?