Farts

I have been on Norvir, Reyataz, and Truvada now for almost a year. I switched over from Combivir/Sustiva since 1999. No medication failure, just side effects for the change. I am currently suffering from huge amounts of gas, flatus. I can feel and hear it in the intestines and it is impossible to hold. I have tried everything that I can find information on. I have to waddle for a cushion or somewhere where I can relieve myself and hope that I can make it. I am currently on 900mg of oat bran also and still suffering. I have tried 500mg of activated charcoal and have had great relief from this, but I am concerned about the absorbtion of my meds. I currently take the charcoal in the mornings around 8-9am. I take my meds at 11pm so there is an 8-9 hour window. Is this recommended or am I at risk of harming the meds absorbtion? My t-cells are currently around 800, VL below 50 copies. Thanks.

Although there may be some legitimate concern about the effect of charcoal on drug absorption in individual patients, your blood test results are reassuring that you are still getting adequate blood levels (may consider getting a least a lopinavir level if still concerned). Calcium supplements,checking for lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, simethicone, yogurt with active bacteria, and other interventions help a minority of patients-fairly unpredictable in my experience. KH

HIV medication and multivitamins
Fat accumulation & Muscle crump at night part 2